I am a nursing momma. I did with Olivia for 13 months, and will do the same with Ava. But this road has been really rocky. Reallllly rocky. Mind you, Ava is 6.5 weeks old, and I fully expected to have the hang of this by now. And I don't. Here is a small timeline:
-Latched great day 1. Continued to do well in hospital. Kind of a bad latch, leading to cracked nipples from day 2.
-Milk came in. Engorged. Baby refuses to latch. Lactation consult in home #1.
-Pain. For the duration. Feeding a baby every 2/3 hours on cracked and bleeding nipples. Can't pick up my toddler, can't cuddle newborn to my chest. Moving too fast, no good. Dealing with it, figure it will get better soon.
- Baby projectile spitting up 9 times out of 10. Screaming while nursing most times.
- Lactation Consult in home #2. Found out supply was sucking, due likely to her not wanting to nurse for tummy issues. Lack of demand= lack of supply. Attempt to fix latch, no go. Bring on nursing, bottle, pumping, repeat. Problem fixed.
- Diagnosed with reflux and I stopped eating dairy.
- Barracuda baby continues to latch really shallow. I do EVERYTHING I can to get her on right. If she latches properly, she sucks for a second, screams bloody murder and tears my breast in 900 directions, til she gets where she wants. Mind you, nipples still cracked and bleeding.
- Baby crying on and off throughout entire nursing sessions.
- Also I have the only nursling in the world who doesn't want to nurse when she is sleepy. Will scream instead.
- This child is like a board. She is usually stiff, and that includes one arm that is stiff armed pushing against me, AWAY from the boob she has firmly in her mouth.
- And she chomps. Like, a freaking alligator.
- And now, I have a clogged duct, which is not a huge deal, but I may well be working on mastitis. Awesome.
I am having a really hard time dealing with this right now. Really hard time. I will not quit. But I cannot continue this way. I really dread each time she nurses. The only time it's ok is in the middle of the night. She is much more relaxed, and so am I.
I am open to anything. Someone, please, help!
Where is this peaceful mom? The one pictured below with the baby who latched right on after birth and mom was convinced it would be so much easier this time around. Where is she???