Wednesday, January 19, 2011

By popular demand....

a cake pop tutorial. I'll do the best I can to describe what I do, and to help if you need it! Keep in mind, my inspiration for any and all of these is Bakerella!! Mine will never look like hers :(~

The basic "recipe" is this:

One boxed cake mix- prepared as 9x13 cake
Crumble naked cake up as small as possible
Mix with one can (maybe a little less) of canned frosting.

Done.

Form into balls.
I then throw mine into the freezer to firm them up before dipping.
For the owl "ears' (what are those things really??) I used white choc chips. I suppose you could mold the ball with ear shapes, but uh, not for me. So I did have to melt a few chips to make glue for the chips.
Feed your toddler cake. Vitally important step.
Dip in melted candy melts. I use Wilton cause that is what I have around here. It comes in every color imaginable. The dipping is typically the hardest part. It takes practice. You make sure the melts are totally melted and hot first of all. I do mine in the microwave cause I'm cool like that. Then place the firmed up cake ball on a stick, dip, and tap as much excess candy off as possible.

For the owls I used:

Cheerios for the eyes
Choc dipped sunflower seeds for the feet and beaks
Giant sprinkles for the wings

It was for a girl baby shower, so the pink and green worked well!

Others I have done:
 Reindeer- Red and brown M&Ms for noses, pretzels for antlers, round white sprinkles for eyes.
Santa hats- Dip the white end first, just a little bit. Let dry. Dip the red end then and add a marshmallow real quick!

Let me know if you have any questions! It's sort of labor intensive, but I think it's fun. Olivia loves helping me, and it seems to hold her attention for a long time!

Each batch makes around 4 dozen, maybe a few shy of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment