Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Freezer cooking- Meal 1- Skillet lasagna



So on the spur of the moment, I decided to make this recipe for dinner tonight. On another spur of the moment, I decided to make 6 of them... well, I actually tripled the recipe, and made 6 meals for us. One for tonight, 5 for the freezer. 

Changes I made to the recipe- used 2 lbs ground beef, 1 pound mild Italian sausage. I sauteed them in garlic as well. I also used mostly cottage cheese instead of sour cream. I don't know why, I just did. I also added a bit more seasoning than the recipe called for.

Thank goodness for my Food Saver! See the finished product in the 2nd picture. It won't take up much room in my deep freezer!

I also did this for SUPER CHEAP! I figure on 4 servings per meal. (Actually, I know it will be more than that, but for the sake of argument here.)

The total cost is $.99 cents a serving!

I also did use the "healthier" stuff when making this, as I always try to do. Veggie sauce (no funky ingredients in this brand. No corn syrup, or dyes). I used Laura's Lean Beef. I used the Target brand of their multi grain pasta. I was happy and surprised to see that it even had flax in it! And nothing else weird either. Otherwise, there is a good bit of cheese..... :)

And it only took about 45 minutes to put the whole thing together. Olivia spent most of that time doing this:


Stay tuned for more! I am going to try to do a couple every now and again. For those lazy nights as I get into my 3rd trimester, and it's cold outside. Then hopefully I will still have stuff left when Ava comes. Cause we all know how much cooking will get done with a newborn and a 2 year old....

No comments:

Post a Comment